Tuesday, June 04, 2013

ARTS NIGHT.

Saw Coriolanus (now closed) at the Shakespeare Theatre Company here in D.C. I'd seen this play twice before -- back in the 70s at the Public, with Clarence Williams III in the lead, and at Theatre for a New Audience in 2005 with Christian Camargo, on which occasion I wrote about the play and the production. (You know the story: Big tough soldier saves Rome, Rome shits on him, soldier joins Rome's enemies and threatens to destroy Rome, his mother talks him out of it and his new comrades, understandably pissed, kill him.)

The play isn't wearing well on me --though it was a rattling good production, if a little heavy on the grrr-we're-guards type of ridiculous pseudo-toughness you get when actors play war; also the final dumb-show was imbecilic, a cycle-of-violence thing out of some pacifist pageant.

The character doesn't have the depth and shadings of Shakespeare's other tragic heroes, so the critical mind usually wanders away from him and toward the play's sour view of democracy and politics, which is not even cynical, just superstitious, reflexively hostile and grim. The other kinds of human relations the play notices are either sketchy or monstrous. Menenius and Coriolanus are supposed to be practically family, but Menenius does all the work and when the fit is on him Coriolanus gives him up easily; the love-hate blood-brotherhood of Aufidius and Coriolanus is just creepy.

The relationship that usually gets all the attention is the hero's to his mother Volumnia, a sort of paragon of martial motherhood who brags that she instilled Coriolanus' blood-thirst, and we believe her because she's formidable with her family, a terror to her enemies, and galvanic to Coriolanus. (His wife Virgilia was more wan and disposable in this production than I'd seen her before.) Diane D’Aquila was wonderful in the role; patrician but ferociously energetic, the sort of person you'd expect Coriolanus to look up to.

But a funny thing happened to that relationship because of a choice Patrick Page made as Coriolanus. Page was great, by the way -- certainly not a fake soldier, but someone whom you could imagine  both in the phalanx and at the head of an army. He let on that he enjoyed the highly focused warrior life, was apparently juiced by it -- not necessarily pleased, though, and certainly not happy. But early in the play, after he has done some balls-out crazy heroism, he asked his general to free a citizen whom the army has interned, because the man had done him some kindess. Coriolanus was asked the man's name -- in the script he responds with this: "By Jupiter! forgot./I am weary; yea, my memory is tired./Have we no wine here?"

The normal reading is that he is tired, and maybe, if you can work it in, that little people don't really matter to this mighty warrior after all. But Page had a half-minute freak-out; he stopped talking; his eyes went out of focus; he punched himself several times in the head, trying to remember. His comrades, half-embarrassed, hustled him off to get his wounds dressed.

My God, I thought; he has PTSD. And through the rest of the play I saw that as an explanation for a lot of what Coriolanus did. And it really worked as an explanation, too: His joylessness, restlessness, high discomfort with crowds and intimacy -- it fell into place. It sounds like something out of a classroom bull session, so maybe we needn't call it PTSD; maybe we can just say that the thing that gnawed Coriolanus seemed understandable, and had a relationship to something I'd seen in the world. In any case Page was playing it and making it work.

It did sap some life out of the famous final meeting between Coriolanus and Volumnia, not because D'Aquila fell down on the job -- she sure didn't -- but because her ability to pull Coriolanus out of his madness, which is frankly always a hard sell, had been somewhat explained away by his condition. Of course he was going to crack if she went on long enough. It didn't matter what she did. In fact, nothing other people did mattered much to him; he was on his course, not to take Rome, nor to gain revenge, but to die and put an end to his own suffering. Maybe that wasn't Shakespeare's idea, but it was something to see, and tragic.

UPDATE. In comments Derek makes some good counter-points, this among them:
I dunno. Assigning PTSD to Coriolanus seems to me as meaningful as assigning ADD or Manic Depression or Minor Depressive Episode (Recurring) to Hamlet. They're two archetypal characters in extreme situations, both of them animated more by Shakespeare's language and imagination than by ineluctable human decision.
I may have been unclear. Certainly if you use some clinical diagnosis, or even a homey character judgement -- like Hamlet as "the tragedy of a man who could not make up his mind") -- as an explanation for the play, or even a character within the play, you're being reductive and probably evading the hard work of analysis. But it's something else, I think, when the actor brings something that knocks over your preconceptions. Now, actors have to work hard to make these supermen comprehensible to audiences -- more than Shakespeare did, certainly -- and you can't tether them too much to convention; it could be that Page and/or his director, David Muse, were excited by this idea of Coriolanus and let it throw the play out of balance. Or maybe it was my old-fashioned idea of Coriolanus' and Volumnia's relationship that was out of balance. I don't know; maybe I'll have a better idea next time I see the play. But Page's conceit certainly woke me up.

Oh, and I haven't seen the Ralph Fiennes film of it but now I really want to, thanks for the recommendations.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Roy, if you weren't already taken by Kia is sweep you up in my big strong arms and take you to my lair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:58 PM

    Hi there, all is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one
    is sharing facts, that's truly excellent, keep up writing.

    Take a look at my web page - diets that work for women

    ReplyDelete
  3. [STUNNED, ADMIRING PAUSE]

    ... Huh. That's so crazy it just might work, as someone once said.

    In a somewhat related vein, I've been curious about Ralph Fienne's recent film version, which I managed to miss even hearing about at the time. It seems to me that the updated setting might add something to the "sour view of democracy and politics." (Though it's not like Republican Rome was a beacon of electoral enlightenment.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. marindenver12:04 AM

    One of the reasons Shakespeare's plays have remained relevant all this time is that he was an incredible observer of human nature and what motivates people. He may not have had a name for PTSD but he probably observed it. Sounds like a great take on Coriolanus by Patrick Page and possibly what Shakespeare had in mind when he wrote it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mgmonklewis12:10 AM

    Thank you so much for an insightful review of a play I've never had the fortune to see, nor the patience to read.



    Whenever I go for the nonstandard "classic" plays, I tend to go for The Spanish Tragedy, and other such Tudor "Red Weddings" of their day. Anyhoo, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Derek2:57 AM

    Hmm. I think you're missing something in your assessment of the play, though I can't quite put my finger on what, exactly. My unease circles around your characterizing the play's treatment of democracy as "superstitious, reflexively hostile, and grim." Which characterization strikes me, frankly, as reflexively defensive of an attitude that can only be anachronistically expected of the late 16th/early 17th century.

    Most of Shakespeare's life was lived during the reign of Elizabeth I, who is, to my mind, the most perfect blend of Plato's philosopher-king & Machiavelli's "prince" in the history of folks who reign. Throughout the 40 plus years of her reign, she spent inordinate amounts of energy and time combating exactly those sorts of "democratic" assessments of her fitness to rule that Coriolanus fulminates against in Shakespeare's play. I'm not saying that QEI ushered in some utopic era of blissful gender equality, but, DAMN, ol' girl fucked up some old-ass white men's perceptions...

    When I first read Coriolanus, I was completely stunned--it was akin to my first experience of Marlowe, Jonson, Webster, Kyd & the rest of the Renaissance dramatists, which went something like, "Huh? There's more to the period than Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet? Like, a LOT more?" It was out of keeping with what I'd come to expect of Shakespeare & the era: in contrast to the star-crossed lovers and the brooding ubermensch, I encountered the brutality, the unflinching coarseness of Coriolanus (like that of Marlowe's Tamburlaine, maybe...) and the searing indictment of the res publica... While something was rotten in the state of Hamlet's Denmark, I only caught wind of it through hearsay: here I saw & experienced the rotten state of the state of Rome straight from the mouths of the brethren.

    I dunno. Assigning PTSD to Coriolanus seems to me as meaningful as assigning ADD or Manic Depression or Minor Depressive Episode (Recurring) to Hamlet. They're two archetypal characters in extreme situations, both of them animated more by Shakespeare's language and imagination than by ineluctable human decision.

    Meh. I'm drunk. I still like the play. And, having read this blog for 10 years and more, I can't believe that you're so altruistic as to dismiss Coriolanus' dismissal of the polis as "superstitious and grim." The fact that Malkin & the Rightblogosphere has a readership at all ought to dispel that notion...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got to see it, Roy! Interesting angle on that production. I've always thought Coriolanus would have been fine if he'd only been left alone and allowed to stay a soldier/general. He's completely temperamentally unsuited for politics. He literally cannot understand that world, and is manipulated easily. The play is definitely flawed, but has potentially great scenes. (By the way, Ralph Fiennes' film version of Coriolanus is fantastic. Not flawless, but amazing nonetheless. I wrote up a review 'n' all that.)

    If I may gush about one of my favorite theaters or companies, I've only seen a couple of bad (well, mediocre) productions from the Shakespeare Theatre Company. Everything else has been good to superb. (I grew up being dragged to their productions as my shot of culture back when they were at the Folger.) For flawed plays such as Pericles or Timon of Athens, they'll put on the best production you're likely to see. For true classics, well, look out. Yeah, they can get a little self-indulgent at times, but it's so nice to have (mostly) classically-trained actors who can handle the language well, and it's a treat to see people who know how to stage classic comedies and make them funny. I've seen several RSC productions over the years, and classical theater with famous actors here and there, but I'd rank the best of the Shakespeare Theatre Company higher, and I gotta admire their consistency. It's especially nice when they do some kickass production of a seldom-performed play such as Schiller's Mary Stuart, or Mourning Becomes Electra, or The Country Wife. It can be revelatory.

    (Sorry, I could go on… I really miss it out here on the west coast. I did catch their excellent production of A Midsummer Night's Dream in December, though, and Much Ado About Nothing the year before. In terms of other DC theater, Arena Stage can be hit or miss, but the Studio Theater and Woolly Mammoth are pretty reliable, and some great touring productions hit the Kennedy Center.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aimai6:00 AM

    My mother is crazy about the Ralph fiennes or as I think of it , captain Picard version. It's on our list to watch. I wanted to ask Roy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Halloween_Jack10:38 AM

    I'd been wondering if the Fiennes version was any good; I'll have to add it to the viewing list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellis_Weiner10:45 AM

    "My God, I thought; he has PTSD."


    Nowadays I'm as creeped out by Mel Gibson as the next man, but his Fletcher Christian in Roger Donaldson's Bounty was tremendous in just this way. You watched him have a nervous breakdown as he took command from Bligh. It wasn't the act of a decent man pushed too far; it was a convulsive explosion of emotional de-compensation in a highly sublimated, repressed personality after being exposed to a completely different reality--i.e., the previous sojourn in Tahiti.


    This now made complete sense as a background cause, and placed the traditional reason (he just couldn't abide Bligh's "cruelty" any more) in a better context. Or so I remember it at the time. It's possible I'd watch it now and think, "Huh?" so that's why I won't. Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  11. edroso11:40 AM

    I take your point about Marlowe, who makes a good comparison -- he's blunter, and Coriolanus seems to point back to that style.


    As to the rest of what you said, I'll put in an update.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hattie2:07 PM

    Thanks for this intelligent criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  13. William9:03 AM

    What a nice criticism!

    ReplyDelete
  14. William9:04 AM

    Thumps Up!

    ________________
    ifreesamples

    ReplyDelete
  15. atikinson6:57 AM

    "Arts Night Out is a very important component of the
    Spring Show NYC," says Clinton Howell, president
    of the AADLA. "All of our exhibitors are very keen
    to develop relationships with the new generation of
    collectors and this evening is our way of reaching out to
    them.

    _______________
    Acne Cyst

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yuck, I saw Ralph Fiennes onstage as Coriolanus about a million years ago at BAM (the Google machine tells me it was in 2000, and was an Almeida Theatre production). He was one-notishly aggressive, and tiring to watch. Unless he learned something between that production and the film, I can't imagine the film being anything but grim...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mooser3:47 PM

    You know, I get the feeling Porter agrees with your interpretation:

    "If she says your behavior is heinous
    Kick her right in the "Coriolanus.""
    As I'm sure you know, domestic violence is often associated with PTSD.

    ReplyDelete