Tuesday, May 31, 2016

NEW VILLAGE VOICE COLUMN UP...

...about the Libertarians' nomination of Gary Johnson for President and why rightbloggers find him an unacceptable Trump substitute. About the closest thing to a Johnson endorsement I've seen among the brethren comes from Aaron Goldstein at the American Spectator, and it's not all that close: After revealing that he once attended a Tea Party rally at which Johnson spoke but "didn’t really hear his remarks because I was busy speaking with Tea Party activists and being interviewed" -- wonderful life he lives -- Goldstein says he's "willing to consider voting for him in November" cuz Trump Hillary yuk. However:
While I have some sympathy for the libertarian point of view, I think they are generally naive on foreign policy. They can talk military non-intervention and the elimination of foreign aid all they want. They can’t wish away the United States’ position in the world.

With this in mind, I can only hope that Johnson has some degree of pragmatism and realism in his thinking. Specifically, I have questions particularly where it concerns the Iran nuclear deal...
Yeah, you get it: Goldstein's like a guy who says he's okay with gay marriage but do they have hold hands where his kids can see them etc. I've said a lot of mean things about libertarians in the past, but I must admit this Johnson thing is really distinguishing them from the conservatarian phonies at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment