Thursday, December 06, 2007

ANNALS OF GLIBERTARIANISM PART 439,062. The Perfesser approaches gun rights from the back end:
I HEARD NEAL BOORTZ holding forth on the Omaha mall shooting this morning on the way to work, and I realized I haven't posted on it. I don't really have anything to say that I haven't said before. But it's worth noting -- since apparently most of the media reports haven't -- that this was another mass shooting in a "gun-free" zone. It seems to me that we've reached the point at which a facility that bans firearms, making its patrons unable to defend themselves, should be subject to lawsuit for its failure to protect them. The pattern of mass shootings in "gun free" zones is well-established at this point, and I don't see why places that take the affirmative step of forcing their law-abiding patrons to go unarmed should get off scot-free. There's even an academic literature on mass shootings and concealed-gun carriage.

Perhaps we need legislation. If it saves just one life, it's worth it.
About.com spells out the gun laws in effect in Nebraska:
State requirements:

Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.
Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.
Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.
Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.
The Perfesser being a libertarian, shouldn't he agree that weapon-enabled citizens of Nebraska who wish to tote their shootin' ahrns to shopping venues have a choice to avoid gun-free zones? If such citizens enter such zones, aren't they voluntarily taking a risk upon themselves, much as frontier gamblers who agreed to "check your guns at the door" did?

Yeah, I know: I'm assuming the Perfesser actually believes something he professes to believe. I am too childish-foolish for this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment