Sunday, April 06, 2003

HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BLOG. I have said some negative things about the personal weblog phenomenon and its attendant diarism. Most people aren't that interesting, and most people can't write for toffee, bless them, so the net result looks like a worldwide Creative Writing class with no instructor and few star (or even competent) pupils.

I've loosened up a bit about that. (Wrong? The great El Droso? -- ed. Who are you? -- re) Getting into the swing of it here on the Blogger-enabled site, I've found the ease of posting is a good or a bad thing depending on one's judgement at any given moment, and that this could over time positively affect my spot-writing skills (a big plus, since that's largely how I make my living). And it beats hell out of morning pages. The threat of publication, like the prospect of hanging, powerfully concentrates the mind.

And I don't sigh so much these days over the explosion of bad prose. I got bigger things to worry about.

Besides, some of the blogs are fun. I found this one via the Blogger homepage. It seems to be run by a bunch of kids who've found a semi-abandoned building and want to have parties in it. They spend much of their online time like this:

This day was awesome. And Furrows is by far the most awesome place I've ever been to, as well as the FREAKIEST. The scarriest part was that giant hole in the wall with the 15-foot drop. THAT was freaky. THAT was more creepier then the scarey graffitii on the walls. Things were great.


and

I'm not just gonna punch him you little brat! you forg you never pay attention to anything! I've been pissed off at nathan for months!


Maybe it would be better if Andy Hardy and the gang put on a show instead of doing this, but it's hella cute nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment