Monday, December 20, 2021

THE NEXT BARI WEISS.

At this point I'm posting these things like a castaway writing on the walls of his cave in case people discover it after he dies:

The push to ban books in Texas schools spreads to public libraries

When the Llano County Library shuts down for thre-e days this week, starting Tuesday, it won’t be for the holidays.

Instead, a group of six librarians in this small Central Texas county will be conducting a “thorough review” of every children’s book in the library, at the behest of the Llano County Commissioners Court. Their mission will be to make sure all of the reading material for younger readers includes subjects that are age-appropriate. A new “young adults plus” section will be added to separate books written for an older teen audience from those geared toward younger readers.

This isn't a school library, by the way -- it's a public library. I'm trying to imagine local busybodies muscling in on the North End branch of the Bridgeport Public Library when I was growing up and forbidding young me to read Esquire magazine or the works of H. Rap Brown and Philip Roth. It makes me feel sorry for the kids in this stupid Bumfuck town, but mostly it makes me damn mad.

Oh, here's the hot part:

[Amy] Garvel, who describes herself as a conservative and has a 9-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter, said she’s been very careful about what content they consume.

“My goal is really to protect the children in our community in general, not just my own children,” said Garvel, 43. “I’m hoping that [the library] sees that we’re not trying to censor books that we’re trying to protect our children. I mean, the library was one of the last places that we could feel safe.”

You miserable fool, "censor" is EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING. LOOK IT UP IN A DICTIONARY. FORCING LIBRARIES TO WITHDRAW BOOKS FROM CIRCULATION IS LITERAL CENSORSHIP.

I bet Amy Garvel is dead set against "cancel culture" and perhaps even bitches about it while she's rummaging the stacks of the Llano County Library for books to ban.

No comments:

Post a Comment