Thursday, May 29, 2014

SEASON 7, EPISODE 7.

(Mild spoilers) (And yes, I'm later than usual on this episode, but I am writing for the ages, not for a prestige online journal mining the glass-teat afterglow.) This one went by in a rush, and no wonder: It was about the silliest Mad Men episode yet. I mean, forget the ending (for now, we'll get to it) -- this is an episode in which Peggy, transformed into an unbitch by reconciling with father figure Don, not only wins the Big Account but gets a phone number from a nice handsome day-laborer, whom I'm sure bitch-Peggy would have found beneath her. She's even nice to Julio.

Also, upon review Cutler's "You're just a bully and a drunk -- a football player in a suit" is the sort of thing that would have cracked me up on SCTV's The Days of The Week.

On the other hand, two phone calls from Don to the non-Peggy women in his life are bracing and sensible. The lesser of these is the kiss-off with Megan, because that was always a ridiculous relationship, but it was an appropriately low-key way to end it. Better still is his call to Sally, because he's doing what he always does, trying to play sky-God Daddy -- "Don't be so cynical. You want your little brothers to talk that way?" -- and Sally is so clearly over it. She dropped that receiver with authority.

Now to Cooper's exit. I never liked that character or his zen bullshit. I know one of the reasons Weiner wanted Robert Morse for this show was his pedigree as the original J. Pierrepont Finch in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, but before this episode I don't believe they ever really lined that equity up with the actual show. What was Bert Cooper? He was supposed to be old Madison Avenue, but he seemed mostly a dispenser of cracker-barrel wisdom dressed in a fine manner and complex sentences. Maybe he was supposed to be a mix of Leo Burnett's "sodbusting corniness" and the mandarin sleekness of old ad grandees. But he never registered with me as anything but someone everyone had to respect because he'd been around.

This episode attempted to change that, and entirely after Cooper's death. First of all, the climactic partners meeting is really like something out of How to Succeed, or The Solid Gold Cadillac or a dozen other old Broadway business farces. Once we are hustled past the fact that there's no actual contract to vote on, the whole scene's a riot -- with Joan and Pete perched in a corner, dollar signs in their eyes, Don Draper talking Ted Chaough off the ledge, and Cutler's curtain-closing button -- "It's a lot of money" -- worthy of Moss Hart. We're a long way from the existential dread of Don Draper.

So it was easier then to accept Bert appearing in a fantasy sequence, crooning "The Best Things in Life are Free." I'm sure Weiner was thinking of "Brotherhood of Man," the finale of How to Succeed, but that would have been too much of a muchness. As it was the Tin Pan Alley tune was much more to the point. Earlier, when Roger called Don about Cooper's death, he lamented that "the last thing I said to him was the lines to some old song." That was "Let's Have Another Cup of Coffee," a similarly breezy Depression-era number. I took the symmetry to mean that Cooper was meant to be the embodiment of the blithe bullshit on which advertising is based -- the smile and shoeshine that rings cash registers. Advertising is real and rough business, but the giants of it usually had some sense of its fun and absurdity, too, which informs the popular perception of the craft. Don, on the other hand, is deadly serious about it; recall his speech about love and nylons and no tomorrow. Both Cooper and Don are acquainted with hard times, but Cooper has always chosen to float above where Don has wallowed. That's why Cooper's dancing in the afterlife.

For the show's purposes, the important thing -- at least it may be important; we have another delayed-half-season season to go -- is that Don sees him.

10 comments:

  1. Disboose12:12 AM

    I still don't know what to say about the Cooper dance except that it riveted me. A few seconds in my wife wondered if Don was having a stroke, and I wondered if the show was falling apart. Neither, thankfully. If this new age of Great Cable Television brings something new to me, it seems to be moments like that.


    I don't remember being similarly gobsmacked by any non-sports TV before I saw 'Deadwood.' Certainly the movies I watch don't give me that sense that anything can happen, but that's probably more a statement on the movies I'm choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellis_Weiner10:27 AM

    The dream-sequence-with-little-person in Twin Peaks gave me that feeling. And you know how I feel about dream sequences. I've also had half a dozen such moments from Breaking Bad.

    I thought Don's stunned witnessing of Bert's number, complete with leggy chorus gals wielding Rolodex, was a coup d'teevee. The show has combined the realistic and the..mythic? from the start, from Dick Whitman's real history. So I liked the audacity of it.

    "Brotherhood of Man" wouldn't have connected with the moon landing. I took Bert's final "Bra-VO!" to be admiration for Armstrong's (somewhat pre-fab, wooden) one-liner upon landing. And it was a mercy that they didn't make us watch him actually die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was basically offended by the Cooper dance number. It's basically unjustifiable in aesthetic terms. I think it owes something to the spontaneously choreographed Grand Central scene in Gilliam's The Fisher King? But such a spectacle belonged in that movie and was delightful. In Mad Men it was absolutely baffling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. edroso11:32 AM

    I take all your points, but I'm still on the fence about the moon. Weiner knew the event was universally significant (that's how I remember it, too), and in some ways it made a useful reference: a great hook for Peggy's presentation, and the kids' sour reaction was interesting given the next-generation subtheme of the show. But I don't see its relevance for Bert, notwithstanding his "astronaut" epitaph for Ida Blankenship. He was never about the technology -- that was Lloyd the computer guy, and Harry and Cutler. Maybe it was just about his pleasure that men were physically on the moon -- an example of poetic metaphor made real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellis_Weiner11:41 AM

    I don't think Bert was bravo'ing the landing--about which he looked sort of amused--but, rather, the "One small step" quote. One tagline writer to another, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doc Nebula1:45 PM

    I more or less enjoyed the episode. Noteworthy to me was Sally's continued slide towards inevitable Bettyhood; the girl is so desperate to become anyone but her mother, and she's just so completely doomed to end up an exact carbon copy.

    This mirrors Don's efforts this season exactly; he himself is fervently trying to turn himself into anyone but Don Draper, but everyone who despises Don Draper and tried to drive Don Draper out of the agency is now doing their absolute best to force Don to revert to his previous persona. It would be hysterically funny if it weren't so tragic.

    I wonder if the end of this show won't be Don realizing that everyone he has any feelings for at all only respects him for all the traits he's come to despise in himself... and, upon coming to that comprehension, what choice he will make. He could decide, hey, if they really like me that way then it can't be that bad... or, conversely, he could finally grasp that he's spent the most successful years of his life surrounded by assholes who are not worthy of him, and go do something better with himself.

    Cynical as this show is, I expect he'll opt for (c), and jump off a building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LookWhosInTheFreezer8:44 PM

    I was surprised that Peggy's pitch wasn't nearly the home run I was expecting. I mean it was fine but I wasn't all too certain that she'd sealed the deal, for such an important moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure it was *supposed* to be a home run. That's how I read it, at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GeorgeMokray1:24 AM

    Maybe it's all an homage to Preston Sturges' winning ad slogan from "Christmas in July":
    "If you can't sleep at night, it's not the coffee, it's the bunk."

    ReplyDelete
  10. TribalistMeathead1:12 PM

    "I'm sure Weiner was thinking of "Brotherhood of Man," the finale of How to Succeed, but that would have been too much of a muchness."


    Plus, content-wise, it's basically a polite version of The Penis Song from The Meaning of Life.

    ReplyDelete